Monday, August 10, 2009

Two months in: Diabetes

August 10, 2009, just happens to be the my two month anniversary of being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.
These last two months have been the most trying, difficult, tear-filled days of my life. Planning a wedding and dealing with that stress, was a cake walk compared to this.
Living with my diagnosis has been a major process-a hard one at best. In the beginning, I can honestly say, that I thought living with Diabetes would be easy-I was SO wrong.
My journey today seems much harder than it was back in June, I'm dealing with tons of diabetes related information, medications appointments, calorie counting, and bills-Please don't get me started on the bills. Some days I feel o.k., Others days.. I feel like my brain is going to explode with everything I'm trying to take in.
Diabetes is affecting EVERY aspect of my life, which I knew it would, but I didn't really realize how much of my life would be affected, and that is REALLY hard for me. I'm used to being able to run all day without worrying about when or what I need to eat, or working through lunch and just grabbing some fries(Potatoes-I miss you!) before heading home-Now, I have to literally sit down, and plan my errands/work day, insert a snack, and a blood sugar check. Honestly, I'm not used to all this eating. I basically eat 6 times day. Breakfast, Snack, Lunch, Snack, Dinner, Snack-WHEW!!
According to the American Diabetes Association, I'm in what they call the Anger stage of dealing with my diagnosis. I can't even fake it-They are so right. I'm mad as HELL! Diabetes, and I are NOT friends. I feel like I did something wrong or that karma is paying me back for something that I don't even remember doing. But, when I think about being mad for having Diabetes, I get upset at myself for being mad about it. It's a crazy, vicious cycle.
Needless to say, I'm making it. My blood glucose levels are no where near crazy number of 511(yes 511) they were on the day I was diagnosed, I'm no longer crazy tired, I've found a love for Diet Coke, and can prick myself in my sleep.
*Out

No comments: