Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Movie Review: The Soloist


Over my busy weekend, I had the pleasure of going to the movies. Oh I love the movies- I love everything about it, the overpriced popcorn, the seats, the evil concession stand workers. I just simply enjoy going to see a movie.

This weekend several movies debuted at my local theater. One being, The Soloist, starring Robert Downey Jr, and Jamie Foxx. I had been waiting for this movie for what seems like forever. I started following the story of characters in the film, when I saw the trailer in movie last year. I was so excited to finally see this movie.

The film is based on a true story about Nathaniel Ayres, a gifted musician who studies at Jilliard, becomes schizophrenic and homeless. The movie also details an intriguing relationship that develops between Nathaniel, and a reporter for the Los Angeles Times. The film was wonderfully written, and very well acted. At one point while watching the movie, I actually forgot that Jamie Foxx was playing this character. Jamie did a wonderful job of adding depth to his craft. I love him a musician, but I am truly in love with him as an actor. (sorry babe)
Robert Downey Jr. did a great job as well, showing us that he is still in the game as one of Hollywoods premier actors.

Lastly, I was very glad the film touched on a subject that is near to my heart, and my family. Mental Health. I was so over-joyed that main character in the film dealing with mental issues was African-American- and that saddens me at the same time. The state of the mental health in the African-American community is another one of our big elephants in the room that no-one wants to talk about.

Overall, I think the Soloist is a must see for 2009.


~Peace

2 comments:

Pat R said...

i've heard the Soloist does a great job raising awareness about those who are homeless who might also happen to be mentally unstable; still don't know if i'll get to this while it's still in the theaters

Mrs. G said...

Thanks for the review! I definitely plan on seeing it.